Take a walk around the village this weekend, taking time to remember the people and events in the village during World War 2. Plot your route on the map and use the website below to find out further information about Langar during this time period.
Langar's part in the war
Langar Airfield - RAF Langar There were many military airfields in the East Midlands during the Second World War. The area was largely flat and, being on the east side of England, it was closest to Germany. Royal Air Force Station Langar opened in 1942 during World War II. It was used by both the Royal Air Force Bomber Command, the United States Army Air Forces and the Royal Canadian Air Force.
Evacuees in Langar Langar School’s Admissions Register shows that on Wednesday 13 September 1939 26 children came from Nottingham to stay in Langar and Barnstone - 16 from Queen’s Walk School, 8 from Trent Bridge School and 2 from Bosworth Road School. The oldest child was a boy aged 14, while the youngest was a 5 year-old girl. The addresses where the children stayed are not shown in the Admissions Register. However, almost every house in Langar and Barnstone must have been host to an evacuee.
The War Commemorated
The War Memorial, which stands in St Andrew's churchyard, was dedicated in 1919. The names of three Langar men who died in the war are written on the opposite side to the First World War casualties.
Inside the church are the Rolls of Honour for those who served in both World Wars. There is a seat in the churchyard dedicated to the men of RAF squadron 207 who died in World War 2 and a Book of Remembrance for the squadron inside the church
There is also a memorial at Langar airfield near the Control Tower